Sunday 18 November 2012

£ood Waste Challenge - Day 2

Second day of the challenge and pretty good results again (I think), despite spending most of the day on a cooking project!

Breakfast

No food waste. I weighed out a portion of muesli which I had with yoghurt and a banana. (The banana peel doesn't count).

Lunch

No food waste. I had creamy garlic mushrooms on a bagel. The mushrooms were left over from Wednesday and the bagel came from the freezer.

Dinner

I had a go at making crubeens (pig's trotters). This involved poaching the trotter for a three hours in an aromatic liquor (the usual thing carrot, leek, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns). Now, once cooked I threw the veg away as all of their flavour was in the poaching liquor and they were boiled to death, so certainly not to be eaten. In my world this isn't food waste. The veg. et al had served their purpose.

I reduced the cooking liquor to an intense pork stock, which I've saved for later in the week. If I don't use it this week, it'll go in the freezer for a later date.

The crubeens were coated in egg, flour and breadcrumbs. There's nothing I know of that can be done with the excess flour and I don't know how to avoid producing excess flour. It's simply not possible to coat something in flour using the perfect amount, so I don't think this counts. Mindful for the challenge I did mix the remaining egg and breadcrumbs together and fry as a quick pre-dinner snack as I waited for it all to cook. Thus my first food waste of the week was the crusts from the bread used to make the breadcrumbs (one simply shouldn't use the crusts for a breadcrumb coating).

I had the trotter with savoy cabbage in a mustard cream sauce. I only cooked half the cabbage (the leftover raw cabbage went in the fridge for later on in the week). The other veg were some potatoes and beetroot that I had in the fridge and needed eating.

Grand Food Waste Total:

Crusts from two slices of bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails