Sunday 22 January 2012

Banana curry soup

My new foodie chum at work recommended this banana curry soup to me. I was more than a little sceptical but with a hand of rapidly-ripening bananas to use up (and dental issues) I took the opportunity to give it a bash.

Quite to my surprise it was actually pretty good. The flavour of the spices in the curry paste really sang out. Each mouthful started with a sweet note but it wasn't overpowering. I think the bananas also contributed to a lovely texture.

I can't imagine this is a soup I'd go out of my way to make time and time again. I think its place is as a way of using up leftovers or as a store-cupboard standby.

Ingredients:
4 bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, sliced
Onion, thinly sliced
1 pint chicken stock
1 dsp madras curry paste

Method:
1. Sweat onion until soft. Add the garlic when the onion is almost done.
2. Add the curry paste to the pan and fry off for three minutes.
3. Add the bananas and fry briefly.
4. Add the stock and with another pint of water.
5. Bring it to the boil and then simmer for about 20mins.
6. Liquidise until smooth.

It's very good with naan bread as opposed to toast!

3 comments:

  1. Where I live in Sapporo, Japan there is a local dish called soup curry where they use local fresh vegetables and spices combined with other meats. Every place has their own unique soup ranging from tomato base, to coconut to beef and tonnes more. This is my favourite soup curry at the moment:

    http://www.best-of-sapporo-japan.com/curry-soup.html

    crunchy fried chicken leg with veggies. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow , that is a great dish recipe for the coming hot .... weather. Well, I'm in Philly, and we didn't have much of a winter, so now in the spring we starting with the summer weather.
    Love to make banana pancakes with blueberries. Taste good and is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana pancakes with blueberries. Now that's much more up my street!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails