Monday 6 September 2010

ICCHFC: Week 50 - Olive oil, fruit and nut cake

My turn to bake this week and I just hadn't had a chance to think what to bake. In an extraordinary turn of events I embraced the current tide of "baker's choice" which is sweeping the ICCHFC.

My choice of cake was borne out of perusing some of my recipe books for something that took my fancy. As usual, my in interest in the unusual won over so I went for an olive oil, fruit and nut cake from What's Cooking Baking by Emma Patmore.

Amazingly the cake went down really well. There was a lovely sweet taste of olive oil and the fruit and nuts were like little edible pearls held in the surprisingly light sponge. The top was particularly crunchy and pleasing.

The batter was one of the oddest I've ever put made. The batter just didn't seem to come together very well and had an very gloopy consistency; I put the whole lot in the baking tin in one spoonful.

My Olive oil, fruit and nut cake (taken from from What's Cooking Baking by Emma Patmore)

Ingredients:
8oz plain flour, sieved
1tsp baking powder
1¾oz caster sugar
4floz milk
4tbsp orange juice
50ml extra virgin olive oil
100ml olive oil
3½oz mixed dried fruit
1oz pine kernels

Method:
1. Grease and 8" baking tin.
2. Stir the sugar, baking powder and flour together.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the milk and orange juice and mix together.
4. Pour in the olive oil gradually and stir to mix evenly.
5. Mix in the fruit and nuts.
6. Bake at 180°C for 45mins until the cake is firm and golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails