Wednesday 12 May 2010

Bleeding Heart Bistro

I met Robin from Source it, Cook it, Eat it tonight who took me to the Bleeding Heart Bistro in the heart of his manor.

I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been accompanied I would never have found the place. The bistro is on one side of a small courtyard which pulls off a TARDIS type trick and somehow manages to house three other Bleeding Heart venues: Restaurant, Tavern and The Crypt.

As we walked through the door, there was a buzz in the air of people enjoying each other's company over plates of good food. My expectations were set high.

And I was not disappointed.

My Salade Lyonnaise had plenty of crispy smoked bacon, garlic croutons and a perfectly poached egg. amazingly Robin hadn't tried confit duck before. I'm pretty sure he was glad that I persuaded him to try the salad of confit duck gourmande.

For main I had a darne of hake with a Provençal rouille, pomme purée and Basque sauce Piperade. The hake was a meaty flavoursome chunk which the peppery sauces complemented well although this seemed to be at odds with the (admittedly well made) potato. Nevertheless, I somehow managed to clear my plate.

Robin went for the brutish rib eye of Scottish beef with pommes frites and Béarnaise. As soon as I clocked his plate of meat making its way towards our table, I had food envy. Needless to say the beef satiated all Rob's primeval desires.

We were both a quite full but managed to fit in some desserts. I had the (curiously out of season) pear tarte du jour and Robin a selection of ices cream and sorbet. Neither of us was disappointed with a fitting end to this most satisfying of French evenings.

Despite being held firmly in grip of The City, it was as if a small piece of France had been transported to Holborn for us to have our dinner. The sign on the door said "bistro" and that is what I got: moderately priced, simple, traditional French food. The excellent and knowledgeable French front of house staff gave the place more than an air of authenticity. I'm jealous that Robin has such a little gem on his doorstep. It's my turn to suggest a venue for our next meal and I know I'm going to have trouble equalling this. If I'm ever in need of lunch or dinner and I'm in Holborn, I would definitely return to this place, as long as I can find it again.

Bleeding Heart on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails